Controls Engineer 2
This is a level II position in the field of controls engineering. The role of the Controls Engineer is to design and program control systems for conveyor and/or AS/RS material handling systems. The duties include designing the system electrically for the control panel and the field work, selecting proper hardware for the system, completing all pertinent documentation, writing the PLC program, HMI program, commissioning and testing the system, and adhering to a given budget of finances and hours. This position is expected to lead the controls portion of a material handling automation project up to $5M in value.
Essential Job Functions
Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- PLC programming using Rockwell PLC software, and occasionally Siemens S7. The PLC programming is to be written using Add-On Instructions, User Defined Types, ladder logic, and structured text. The PLC programs generated will control pallet handling conveyor systems, case/tote handling conveyor systems, AS/RS applications, and high speed sortation.
- Design controls hardware infrastructures using Ethernet/IP, AS-Interface, DeviceNET, and occasionally Profibus.
- Set-up field devices, i.e. motion control devices (VFD’s, servo’s, etc.), barcode scanners and image readers.
- Lead HMI (Human/Machine Interface) design and development operating Factory Talk View Studio and/or Vijeo Designer and Ignition.
- Design of control panels, creating panel layout drawings for quoting and/or constructing purposes. Creation of wiring schematics using AutoCAD- Electrical.
- Order entry functions for all control equipment from viastore business units or from outside vendors.
- Perform project management functions (budget, schedule, procurement) for the controls portion of the projects. Assist Project Manager with overall project schedule and strictly adhere to all milestone dates. Work with project management each month for the entry of short term forecast information, detailing the estimated costs to occur throughout the project.
- Write the Controls Description of Operation for projects.
- Participate in all site activities related to implementing the PLC program(s) including installation support, commissioning, testing, and stand by support.
- Know all control and electrical installation budget items and ensure procured materials are within the as sold budget.
- Work with electrical installation subcontractors in the procurement process for implementing pipe and wire installation.
- Handle support calls during project implementation until project is handed over to the Hotline Department.
- Ability to communicate with internal groups of different disciplines as well as external customers and suppliers.
- Overtime may be necessary as work load’s dictate. This may include weekdays, weekends, and/or holidays.
- Participate in all company functions and meetings.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Bachelor's Degree in Electrical Engineering or equivalent technical experience or degree.
- One (1) to three (3) years of experience in the material handling industry or controls field.
- Employee is skilled in PC usage and associated software including Microsoft office (Word, Excel, Access and Powerpoint) and the Rockwell Automation programming suite.
- Proficient in AutoCAD Electrical to create control device layout schematics and control panels drawings.
- Excellent written and verbal communications skills.
- Concrete testing skills are required.
- Understanding of panel design including back panel layouts, power consumption and hardware sizing is required.
- The ability to read and interpret documents such as functional specifications, technical specifications, safety rules, operating and maintenance instructions, and procedure manuals
- Advanced engineering or related degree.
- Supply chain application experience.
- The ability to read and speak German or Spanish.