Aftermarket Controls Engineer
This is an entry level position in the field of controls engineering with a focus on aftermarket retrofits and small projects. The role is to assist in the design and programming of control systems for conveyor and AS/RS material handling systems. The duties include assisting the project lead in system design, control panel design/modification, onsite field work, and commissioning and testing the system.
Essential Job Functions
- Assist in designing controls hardware infrastructures using communication bus networks, such as but not limited to Ethernet/IP, AS-Interface, DeviceNET, and Profibus.
- Assist in set-up of field devices such as motion control devices (VFDs, servos, etc.), barcode scanners, powered roller controllers and image readers.
- PLC and HMI development using the Rockwell Automation programming suite.
- Assist in the design/modification of control panels, creating panel layout drawings for quoting and/or constructing purposes, using AutoCAD-Electrical.
- Assist in order entry functions for all control equipment from viastore business units or from outside vendors.
- Participate in all site activities related to implementing the PLC program(s), including installation support, commissioning, testing, and stand by support.
- Assist in support calls during project implementation until project is handed over to the Hotline Department.
- Ability to communicate with internal groups of different disciplines.
- Overtime may be necessary as the workload dictates. This may include weekdays, weekends, and holidays.
- Participate in company functions and meetings.
This job operates in a professional office environment. This role routinely uses standard office equipment such as computers, phones, photocopiers, filing cabinets and fax machines. During travel to customer locations, the employee may be exposed to various environments.
Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to sit. The employee frequently is required to walk; use hands to touch, handle, or feel; reach with hands and arms; and talk or hear. The employee must frequently lift and/or move up to 10 pounds and occasionally lift and/or move up to 25 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision color vision and the ability to adjust focus.
At times, tasks will require the use of tools (power and hand), such as, but not limited to, drills, hand tools, volt meters, etc. to be used for fine tuning the controls during commissioning and system run-offs.
Ability to travel 25% to 40% per year.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Associates Degree in Technology, High School Diploma, or equivalent technical experience or degree.
- 0-1 years in a technical field.
- AutoCAD or equivalent software exposure
- Employee is skilled in PC usage and associated software including Microsoft office (Word, Excel).
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- The ability to read and interpret documents such as functional specifications, technical specifications, safety rules, operating and maintenance instructions, and procedure manuals.
- Supply chain application experience preferred.